Home Page Home Page


Jerry E. Smith's Facebook profile



The Final Secret

of the Holy Lance

Part Two



To recap Part One of this article… According to the Gospel of John as Jesus Christ hung on the Cross a Roman centurion pierced His side with a spear.  Over the twenty centuries since that event a legend has arisen that says: "whosoever possesses this Holy Lance and understands the powers it serves, holds in his hand the destiny of the world for good or evil."  In the popular culture this object is best known as the Spear of Destiny.


In 1988-89 Col. Howard Buechner released two books that became underground classics, Hitler’s Ashes and Adolf Hitler and the Secrets of the Holy Lance.  These presented seemingly preposterous claims that the Spear of Destiny, after being claimed by Adolf Hitler in 1938 as part of the annexation of Austria to Germany and subsequently used by Heinrich Himmler in bizarre black magic rituals, was spirited away in a German U-boat in the closing hours of WWII and hidden in the ice of Antarctica for over thirty years.  Even wilder, a group of German businessmen calling themselves Knights of the Holy Lance were alleged to have recovered this relic of The Passion of The Christ in 1979, and may be using it at this very moment in an attempt to direct world affairs!


Col. Buechner's story was examined and partially corroborated by the authors of this article in our 2005 book for Adventures Unlimited Press SECRETS OF THE HOLY LANCE: The Spear of Destiny in History & Legend.  Common sense, perhaps, would lead one to reject such a wild tale out of hand.  Although we leaned toward believing that Buechner had been the victim of an incredibly elaborate hoax we agreed that his addition to the story was certainly worthy of inclusion in a book about legends surrounding the Holy Lance. Whether true or not this part of the Spear of Destiny’s saga is now a fixed part of its legend.


In researching this portion of the Spear’s two millennium meander through Christian consciousness we ran into a wild, irresistible mix of sobering historical truth and hilarious supermarket tabloid Urban Legend.  In this installment we’ll start with some of the most “out there” stories, then bring us back to somewhere near reality.  Here then is a bit more of what we discovered while trying to unravel this final secret of the Holy Lance…





If you had been a Wehrmacht soldier at the bombed-out railroad station in Poltava, a city in the Ukraine, during the summer of 1942, you may have seen a very strange-looking military unit on the march, heading for a waiting passenger train.  The unit consisted of women, all of them blond and blue-eyed, between the ages of 17 and 24, tall and slender, their sensational figures encased in striking sky-blue uniforms.  Each woman wore an Italian-style garrison cap, an A-line skirt with the hem below the knee, and a form-fitting jacket with the insignia of the SS. You might have thought the SS had recruited a platoon of high-class call girls, but the truth was far stranger than that.  You would have been looking at Reichsfuhrer-SS Heinrich Himmler's latest brainstorm--the Antarctisches Seidlungensfrauen [Antarctic Settlement Women or ASF].


So wrote Russian UFOlogist Konstantin Ivanenko, as reported in UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 9, Number 3, January 21st, 2004. Ivanenko claims that the SS’s Rasse und Seidlungshauptamt (Race and Settlement Bureau or RuSHA) was the agency responsible for selecting women for the Antarctisches Seidlungensfrauen. About half of these "recruits" were Volksdeutsch -- ethnic Germans whose ancestors had settled in the Ukraine in the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries.  The others were native Ukrainians whom RuSHA had "upgraded" to full Aryans in a process called Eindeutschung (Germanization).  He claimed that as many as 10,000 Ukrainians with acceptable racial purity (out of the more than half a million Ukrainians deported during the war) were transported, not to munitions factories in Germany, but to the German Antarctic!


As discussed in Part One of this article the German Antarctica Expedition of 1938-39 over-flew nearly one-fifth of the continent discovering several ice-free regions with lakes and signs of vegetation in the territory’s interior.  This, it is claimed, led Reichsfuhrer-SS Heinrich Himmler to hatch a bold plan to build a permanent base in Antarctica.  For more than sixty years rumors about a base code named “Station 211” have tantalized historians and researchers.  Could it be that such a project was actually constructed and staffed throughout the war?  Perhaps Grand Admiral Karl Doenitz announced its completion when, in 1943, he said: “The German submarine fleet is proud of having built for the Fuhrer, in another part of the world, a Shangri-La on land, an impregnable fortress.”


Further, Ivanenko claimed that the women of the ASF were dispatched in a ratio of “four Ukrainian women to one German man."  If true, this would mean that some 2,500 men went to Neuschwabenland, as the territory in Antarctica claimed by Germany was called.  While some of these might have been scientists and engineers sent to work on advanced weapons systems, many must have been not-so-common soldiers -- the so-called “Last Battalion.”  Perhaps they were members of Himmler’s Waffen-SS?  Soldiers who had proven themselves in combat, say, on the Russian front?  Wow!  Four girls for every guy is better than the Beach Boys’ Surf City!


According to believers, the colony in Neuschwabenland survived not only the end of World War II, but a full on battle with the 3,500 Marines and aircraft of Operation Highjump, as we shall relate shortly.


Taking credulity to the breaking point Ivanenko wrote: "The total population of Nazis in Antarctica now exceeds two million and that many of them have undergone plastic surgery in order to move about with greater ease through South America and conduct all manner of business transactions." He called the Antarctic Reich "one of the most militarily powerful states in the world because it can destroy the USA several times over with its submarine-based nuclear missiles, remaining itself invulnerable to U.S. nuclear strikes because of the two-mile-thick ice shield."


He further claims that the city of Neuberlin, the colony's capital, sprawls through "narrow sub-glacial tunnels" under an unnamed mountain range, heated by “volcanic vents.” Going totally over the top he also makes the claim that Neuberlin adjoins "the prehistoric ruins of Kadath, which may have been built by settlers from the lost continent of Atlantis well over 100,000 years ago."


A search of the Internet will reveal that many other fringe researchers claim that the actual ruins of Atlantis have been found -- and possibly reoccupied – under the Antarctic ice.  Some say that Atlantis is located near one of the 70 or so warm water lakes that have been discovered miles beneath the Polar Ice Sheet, such as Lake Vostok near the Russian base at the Pole of Inaccessibility.


Another of the oft made claims about Neuberlin is that the city has an Alien Quarter, where Pleiadians, Zeta Reticulans, Reptoids, Men In Black, Aldebarani and other visitors from the stars dwell.  As we discussed in Part One, the Nazis were working on some very advanced aircraft, some of which may have been capable of leaving the earth’s atmosphere.  Some researchers are convinced that the Nazis did indeed make it to the moon, and even Mars.  Could they have made contact with space aliens once they left the earth?  Or, could their rockets, foo-fighters and disk aircraft have attracted aliens to visit them? 


Our favorite piece of tabloid wackiness is a strange religious sect called the Redemptionists.  They believe that Hitler traveled to the moon in 1954 aboard a Nazi-built flying saucer and there met with aliens from Aldebaran, the brightest star in the constellation Taurus.  These very undocumented aliens then took Adolf back to their world.  But, the cult believes, he will soon return to “redeem” Earth on the bridge of the flagship of a vast Aldebarani space armada!


A claim floats around in modern UFO lore that an extraterrestrial craft with anti-gravity propulsion crashed in the Black Forest in the summer 1936, and was recovered by the Nazis who back-engineered it, thus explaining their flying saucer program.  This parallels stories of a similarly recovered crashed “saucer” near Roswell, New Mexico in 1947, the American back-engineering of which supposedly led to the discovery of the transistor (patented by Bell Laboratories the following year), fiber-optics and other exotic technologies.


According to Ivanenko in recent years "there was increased popularity for the idea of a 'German-Slavonic Antarctic Reich.'” He says that talk about the Antarctic Reich is "becoming more and more popular" in Russia, Poland, the Ukraine, Belarus and other countries in eastern Europe.  In the May 10, 2003 issue of the newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine, Polish journalist A. Stagjuk criticized Poland's decision to send troops to Iraq to assist with the American led occupation.  At the end of the article he added, “The next Polish government will sign a treaty with Antarctica and declare war on the USA." Stagjuk's words were broadcast on the shortwave radio station Deutsche Welle the same week.


Could there be a city under the ice inhabited by the grandchildren and great-grandchildren of the original SS settlers; or is it just an urban legend and Queen Maud Land is inhabited only by birds and well chilled scientists?  Or, could the truth be somewhere in between?  What, if anything, did Admiral Byrd encounter in 1947?





Most of the rumors about the alleged German colony in Antarctica agree that Station 211, if it really existed, was located inside a prominent ice-free mountain in the Muhlig-Hofmann Mountains of Neuschwabenland (Queen Maud Land).  In 1946-47 Admiral Byrd, America’s most recognized polar explorer may have searched for Station 211.  In what was called Operation Highjump he had at his disposal the largest armada ever sent to Antarctica.  Some 13 ships and 4,700 men, which included an aircraft carrier, a submarine, two destroyers, more than two-dozen aircraft and some 3,500 Marines in full battle gear were sent by the United States to Antarctica on what was officially described as a “training” mission.  Yet persistent rumors insist that the actual purpose of Highjump was to find, and if occupied, engage the Nazis in their fortress.


The baker’s dozen of ships in Byrd’s flotilla arrived at three different rendezvous points in the Southern Ocean inside the Antarctic Circle, spread out over more than a month, with the first to arrive dropping anchor on December 30, 1946.


The plan was for the main body of men and equipment, the Central Group, to go to Byrd’s Antarctic “home,” Little America on the Ross Ice Shelf, where they would set up a base camp.  There would be two other groups of ships, each group composed of a seaplane tender, a destroyer and a tanker.  One group would begin to the east of the central group, the other to the west.


The Central Group consisted of the Mount Olympus, a communications vessel; two supply ships, the Yancey and the Merrick; two icebreakers, the Burton Island and the Northwind; and a submarine, the Sennet.


The East Group, under the command of Captain George J. Dufek, would start on the opposite side of the continent from the base camp at Little America.  It would be East Group’s task to begin their mission by reconnoitering Dronning Maud Land, the Norwegian name for the area called Neuschwabenland by the Germans.  They began to the east of Neuschwabenland and swung around west, photographing all of the former Deutsch Antarctica in the process.  The East Group consisted of the seaplane tender Pine Island, the destroyer Brownson and their refueling ship the Canisteo.


The West Group, under Captain Charles A. Bond, was made up of the Currituck, a seaplane tender, the Henderson, a destroyer, and the Cacapon, a tanker. They in turn began in the center and ended their voyage half-way around the Antarctic continent at Dronning Maud Land, completing the circle.


Bringing up the rear was the brand new aircraft carrier the Philippine Sea with Admiral Byrd on board.  She had been finishing up a shakedown cruise near Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, when her orders came in to participate in Operation Highjump.  A hasty trip north returned her to harbor at the Norfolk Navy Base in Virginia.  It would take a month to complete the preparations for her 10,000 mile voyage to Antarctica.


Since she would be going through the Panama Canal, changes had to be made in the hull and flight deck structures.  Dug at the beginning of the 20th Century, the canal can only accommodate small to moderately sized ships.  Today’s giants of the sea -- supertankers, container ships, and the floating cities that are modern carriers -- are forced, like sailing ships of old, to go around the Horn.


Soon piles of crates burdened the docks around the Philippine Sea as over one hundred tons of miscellaneous equipment and supplies arrived and waited to be loaded.  Several helicopters landed on the flight deck and were secured for the trip.


Then came the biggest of the problem children, six R4D transport planes.  These were military versions of the famous DC3.  They were far too large to land on a WWII era carrier, and could only take off from one with the assistance of rocket engines affixed to their sides.  The landing field was over a mile from the dock, so a path from airport to quay had to be cut right through the middle of the naval base.  Drivers had to "pilot" the planes through that narrow pathway, with sailors sitting on the wings to prevent a sudden burst of wind from picking the plane up and hurling it against the sides of buildings, fences or machinery.  Often the wingtips came within inches of disaster.


Last aboard the Philippine Sea was Admiral Byrd, just hours before shoving off.  Shortly after noon on Thursday, January 2, 1947, with Admiral Byrd on the bridge, the Philippine Sea slowly pulled away from the pier as bands played and the local command saluted farewell.


The Central Group had reached their designated rendezvoused point in Antarctica three days before the Philippine Sea even left port, arriving at Scott Island on December 30, 1946.  That is, all except for the icebreaker Burton Island. She was also on a shakedown cruise when tapped for the mission.  The Burton Island would leave its west coast base late and arrive in the Southern Ocean last of all – indeed, she got there just in time to go home when the hasty retreat was called, as we shall see in a moment.


The first “casualty” of Byrd’s War was the submarine, the USS Sennet. The ships of the Central Group followed the icebreaker Northwind through the pack ice into the open waters of the Ross Sea.  The official story is that the ice proved to be too dangerous for the sub, which was towed back to Scott Island.  Some researchers have speculated that she actually hit German anti-submarine defenses.  From the Ross Sea she went to New Zealand for repairs then headed back to home base, the Balboa naval facility in the Canal Zone.  The remainder of the group reached the Bay of Whales on January 15.


Over the following two days, landing parties went ashore and selected a location for their base camp.  Once a site was chosen for Little America IV construction began immediately.  A wide assortment of vehicles were soon off-loaded and put to use building three compacted snow runways and a short airstrip made of steel matting, as well as preparing the ice surface for their tent city (which also boasted a single Quonset hut).  The heavy machinery used included tractors, jeeps, “weasels,” bulldozers and other tracked equipment.


The second “casualty” and the first official fatality occurred on January 21.  The victim was a young sailor named Vance Woodall, from the supply ship Yancey. From one account of the incident:


The D6 tractors were proving too heavy to ride on top of the snow that lay on the surface of the bay ice.  In order to gain sufficient towing purchase, the drivers had to let the steel treads plow into the snow until reaching the hard ice.  As a result, one tread would often grip the ice before the other, throwing the tractor violently from side to side until both treads took equally.  The official accident report states that Woodall unfortunately caught both his right arm and head in the slats of the roller just as the tractor suddenly lurched ahead. Woodall's spinal column was severed "high in the neck" and the navy veteran of only seven months died instantly.


Four days later a very displeased Admiral Byrd arrived.  The Philippine Sea rendezvoused with the Central Group on January 25 near Scott Island. Four days later, on January 29, the first two R4D's successfully took off for the dangerous flight to Little America -- with Admiral Byrd aboard the first plane aloft.  By January 30, all six R4D's had arrived safely.  With that the carrier's objective had been completed.  Too big to return to the carrier the R4Ds were simply going to be left behind at the end of the mission.  The Philippine Sea promptly put her stern to Antarctica and made all possible speed for home, arriving back at Quonset Point, Rhode Island on February 28.


From their base at Little America the six R4D’s flew scores of mapping flights deep into the heart of the frozen continent, including several over-flights of the South Pole.  Meanwhile their colleagues, in the PBM “flying boats” launched from the seaplane tenders in the East and West groups, flew mapping missions all along the Antarctic coast. 


In all over 73,000 photographs would be taken.  But what should have been a mapmaker's dream turned out to be a cartographic nightmare.  Only a few thousand of the photographs were of any value due to lack of adequate ground control points.  Without known locations to mosaic the images around, all they had were meaningless pictures of ice.  Or so it was claimed.


The following year a much smaller expedition, called Operation Windmill, was launched to get these needed coordinates.  Some researchers have suggested that Windmill’s real purpose was to see if Station 211 were still occupied, and the need for ground control points was a literal “shore story”.


Not that the photo mapping went that well for the crews of Operation Highjump.  All three groups were plagued with bad weather: fogs, low ceilings, dense clouds in the upper atmosphere, strong winds, and so on, but The Western Group had it the worst, spending whole weeks without getting a plane in the air.


The most remarkable happening from the Western Group was the discovery of “Bunger’s Oasis.”  As one Antarctic chronicler put it:


On either January 30 or February 1 (the record is unclear), PBM pilot Lieutenant Commander David E. Bunger lifted from the bay and headed south for the continent some hundred miles distant.  At this time the USS Currituck was off the Shackleton Ice Shelf on the Queen Mary Coast of Wilkes Land. Reaching the coastline, Bunger flew west with cameras humming.  Suddenly the men in the cockpit saw a dark spot come up over the barren white horizon and as they drew closer, they couldn't believe their eyes.  Byrd later described it as a "land of blue and green lakes and brown hills in an otherwise limitless expanse of ice". Bunger and his men carefully inspected the region and then raced back to the ship to tell the others of their discovery.  Several days later Bunger and his flight crew returned for another look, finding one of the lakes big enough to land on.  Bunger carefully landed the "flying boat" and slowly came to a stop. The water was actually quite warm for Antarctica, about 30°, as the men dipped their hands in to the elbow.  The lake was filled with red, blue and green algae which gave the lakes their distinctive color. The fly boys "seemed to have dropped out of the twentieth century into a landscape of thousands of years ago when land was just starting to emerge from one of the great ice ages", Byrd later wrote. Byrd called the discovery "by far the most important, so far as the public interest was concerned of the expedition".


Dr. Paul Siple, Admiral Byrd’s closest friend who had accompanied him on all of his polar expeditions, including this one, later commented that discussions between the expedition’s scientists as to the nature of "Bunger’s Oasis" had hardly even begun "before the eleven press representatives aboard the USS Mount Olympus had fired off dispatches to the outside world describing the oasis as a 'Shangri-La' and implying that it was warmed by a mysterious source of heat and might be supporting vegetation".  Does “Shangri-La” and “a mysterious source of heat” sound familiar?  Officially, because of the brackish nature of Bunger’s water sample, "Bunger’s Oasis” was dismissed as being an inlet of the sea.


It was the Eastern Group, flying over Neuschwabenland, who would suffer the next, and last officially recorded fatalities.  The official story was that one of their PBM “flying boats” named George One struck the top of a mountain and went down, killing three. What happened is here described by one of the survivors, radar operator Jim Robbins:


My radar had nothing to see except the top of the mountain range peaks that had rugged terrain with good reflective surfaces.  They were 15 miles away as indicated on my radar.  This agreed with our very erroneous charts and we were still fogged in flying at 800 ft (mostly below the weather) and about to turn back as there was no CAVU over the coast as indicated by the crew on George One's earlier flight.  Before we had a chance to turn around, we hit a bump that caused an explosion.  We had torn a hole in the hull and hull gas tank which caused the 145 octane to come pouring out.  The engine exhaust flames set it all off immediately.  Probably the biggest airplane explosion ever, back in 1946! The entire hull completely disintegrated! Most of us were thrown out in the same general direction from the flight deck.  Two of us went through the propellers and died instantly.


Bill Kearns was blown right through the windshield in front of the co-pilot's seat, Warr was blown way down the hill behind us. It was snowing like the devil!  Williams was seated next to our flight engineer Warr, watching the instrument panel with him. After the explosion we found him beside the flaming fire pit and internally hurt very seriously, bleeding from the mouth and nose.  He died a couple of hours later. The photographer, McCarty had been sleeping in the tunnel by his trimetrigon camera and tunnel hatch.  He was evidentially thrown around in there (the tunnel section remained pretty well intact and became our foul weather home).  Frenchy was left hanging by his seat belt in the flames caused by the remaining fuel from the hull tank still burning.  Our honored guest observer, the Capt. of the USS Pine Island, sea plane tender super deluxe, was strapped into a very special new bow seat that replaced the old bow turret.  It was encased in a clear plexiglass dome with the most beautiful possible view ever!  He was blown right through it. He appeared to be in fairly good shape except for his nose which was obviously badly broken.  We later noted that he had a bad limp.


The Duluth, Minnesota News-Tribune for January 2, 2005, ran the story: “Navy tries to find plane lost in Antarctica 58 years ago" on page 7A that read, in part:


On November 27, 2004, the Navy undertook the initial flight...to try to locate the wreckage of the George 1, the plane that crashed in 1946. The search flight was a joint one, conducted aboard a Chilean Navy Orion P-3 aircraft with a Chilean crew and NASA scientists working together.


“This wasn't just a routine task for us,” said Capt. Christian Aldunate, the senior Chilean pilot on the recovery flight. “It was a challenge to find clues that could help locate the plane, even though we knew it would be almost impossible to get at it because of the ice and snow that had piled up over so many years."


During an 11-hour flight from and back to Punta Arenas, in the extreme south of Chile, the search plane dipped as low as 500 feet (150 meters) over Thurston Island so scientists could use radar and laser beams to try to locate the remains of the U.S. Navy PBM (Martin) Mariner seaplane.


"Even today it's not easy, but we can rely on information from satellite photos, GPS systems and wind predictions,” Aldunate said, referring to global positioning networks.  “But from the time they took off until the time they arrived in the area, they had no idea what to expect."


Though little known in the outside world, the three men who died in the (1946) crash--Wendell K. Hendersin, Maxwell Lopez and Frederick Williams--are still celebrated in Antarctica as heroes.


At McMurdo Station, a U.S. research base on the edge of the Ross Ice Shelf, there is a plaque to honor the four men who died on Operation Highjump, the first Americans to die on any of Byrd's many expeditions.


Admittedly, the official record of the operation doesn’t sound much like a report from a war zone.  Yet there have been persistent rumors of pitched battles, massive casualties, planes shot down, and more.  All just wild tales?  If so, why did Captain Richard H. Cruzen, the operational commander of the expedition order an abrupt end to the mission after just eight weeks, when they had enough provisions for 6 to 8 months in the polar region?


Did Byrd, and perhaps the George One, encounter Nazi disk aircraft?  Some take comments the Admiral made to a reporter for the Chilean newspaper Brisant while aboard the Mount Olympus on the voyage home as proof that he did:


It was necessary for the USA to take defensive actions against enemy air fighters which come from the polar regions.  .  .  Fighters that are able to fly from one pole to the other with incredible speed."


According to paranormal investigator Alan DeWalton:


One thing that Admiral Byrd stated in a press conference after his defeat at Antarctica was that the Antarctic continent should be surrounded by a "wall of defense installations since it represented the last line of defense for America."  Although the U.S. and Russia had been allies during the war, suddenly the "Iron Curtain" was created and we and the Russians became enemies.


Both the Soviets and the United States ringed the poles with defense and detection bases, and in between was the barren no-man's-land of the poles where absolutely nobody lived, or did they?  Could it be that we pretended we were protecting against the Russians and they pretended they were protecting against us, while really we and they were both scared of what was in between us -- the Nazi Last Battalion?


Another claim which has been made by some investigators, although the original source is difficult to track down, was that upon returning to the States Admiral Byrd went into a rage before the President and Joint Chiefs of Staff (some versions of the story say he was testifying before Congress) and in an almost demanding tone, strongly “suggested” that Antarctica be turned into a thermonuclear test range.  Urban Legends add that shortly after Byrd’s demand to nuke the Nazis in Antarctica UFOs buzzed the Capitol.  It has been conjectured by some that the UFOs were Nazi craft from Antarctica warning the US of their power to retaliate should Byrd’s recommendation be acted on. 


We tried hard to prove this one, believe me!  We found no evidence of Byrd’s alleged testimony to Congress but did find that he was debriefed by the President, and the records of that debriefing are still sealed.  We did indeed find that UFOs were seen over the Capitol twice, once by day and later again that night.  They were witnessed by thousands and were duly reported in the nation’s press.  Unfortunately, they were sighted in 1951 long after Byrd’s return, and still nearly two years after Operation Windmill.  It seems unlikely to us that there was any connection between these events.


After Highjump and Windmill, the Antarctic was literally crawling with expeditions.  Although the Americans stayed away from Antarctica for the next decade, expeditions were launched by more than a dozen nations in the next few years.  It is your author’s collective opinion that if there had been a Station 211 it was surely abandoned long before the International Geophysical Year (1958-59) that saw the greatest number of non-German visitors to Antarctica up till that time.





Our recounting of the legend of the Spear of Destiny in SECRETS OF THE HOLY LANCE: The Spear of Destiny in History & Legend began and ended in 1979 with the recovery of the Holy Lance from the ice of Antarctica by the “Hartmann Expedition.”  Our retelling of that event was an admitted fiction, blending the material from Col. Buechner and Capt. Bernhart’s books with our own research into Station 211. As a literary device each chapter in our book begins with a fictionalized reenactment of the most important scene in it, and so we also did the same with the entire book, opening with the Hartmann Expedition’s exploration of a long abandoned Station 211 and final discovery of the treasure they sought.  Besides its obvious cinematic value, we began and ended the story of the lance in 1979 because if at least partially true then the Spear of Destiny is not an object on display in some museum, or holed up in some church, but is actually an active player on the world's stage.  “The destiny of the world for good or evil” may again be in one man’s hands!


The late Dr. Howard A. Buechner’s books are based on the evidence provided him by a former German U-boat submariner who claimed to have helped take the Holy Lance to Antarctica in 1945 and to have helped the Hartmann Expedition recover it in 1979.  As the co-author of Buechner’s books he wrote under the pseudonym of “Capt. Wilhelm Bernhart.”  Capt. Bernhart provided Dr. Buechner with what was claimed to be the log of the Hartmann Expedition, including a hand-written letter of authenticity signed by “Hartmann,” also a pseudonym, and photos of some of the objects recovered.


Col. Buechner and Capt. Bernhart avoid mention of Station 211 though.  Instead, Buechner and Bernhart tell us that the submarine crew in 1945 placed Hitler’s treasure at the foot of an unnamed glazier in the Muhlig-Hofmann Mountains, dug in and protected with steel plates.  The submarine then proceeded to Mar del Plata, Argentina where it surrendered some months after the war’s end.  At least the mysterious surrenders of two such subs to Argentine authorities in July and August of 1945 can be confirmed.



Click to view a PRINTER-FRIENDLY version of this page!  

By Jerry E. Smith:

Click for Details

Click for Details

Click for Details

Click for Details

Click for Details